Just outside of Kampala is an island housing a chimp sanctuary. Ngamba Island is an opportunity to spend some time observing these primates.
|DEPARTURE / RETURN LOCATION||Kampala/Entebbe. Determine upon booking|
|PACK / WEAR||Clothing you don’t mind getting wet, Sunscreen and sunglasses, Hat, Camera, Plastic bag to cover camera|
|PRICE||Contact us for details.|
|ACTIVITIES||Zip-lining, Monkey Trekking, Birding, Nature Walks, Mountain Biking|
What to expect?
• After a boat ride of 1-2 hours depending on the weather (see comments below), you will have a short briefing about the island, its chimps, and chimps in general.
• You will then walk to an observation platform to observe the chimps during one of two daily feedings. You will not have 1:1 time to interact with the chimps. Feeding lasts approximately 15-20 minutes. Chimps roam 90% of Ngamba Island freely, so once the feeding is over, they will disappear back in to the forest.
• The rest of the visit you will learn more about chimps, the island, and be able to observe some of the baby, sick, and extra naughty chimps who are in large, caged houses near the infirmary.
• You can decide to have lunch while on the island or opt to return to Entebbe.
• ADD-ON: You can spend a night on the island for an extra fee. You would be assisting keepers in preparing meals for the chimps (lots of fruits!) and some of their daily chores. We’d drop you off the day before on the afternoon boat, and pick you up the next day after the morning feeding. Please contact us if you would like more information.
The boat ride:
• Getting to the island is a boat ride lasting 1-2 hours each way depending on the weather conditions
• The boat has a canvas roof, but the sides are open. You will get wet from splashing water. Please dress appropriately, wear sunscreen, and carry your cameras, etc. in a plastic bag.
• Everyone receives a life vest for the ride.
• The ride can become very choppy and make the trip difficult and uncomfortable for anyone suffering from seasickness or who is pregnant. We can check the weather conditions for the day you wish to go to see if we’d recommend this trip or another one.
Please Note: As with all safari itineraries on this site, this is just a sample route. We customize your safari based on your budget, trip length, desired experience, and group size. Read our Safari FAQs and Safari Terms and Conditions for more information. Then contact us with your details and we’ll get to work crafting your perfect getaway!