Take the time to read this before emailing us about booking your Kampala Boda City Tour. This should answer most of the questions you have. If it doesn’t, you can still contact us. We’re more than happy to answer your questions.
Walter’s Tours is the first and original tour of its kind in Kampala and Africa, and continues to be the most reputable tour company of it’s kind. We’re also pretty excited that we’re #36 out of the 100 unforgettable experiences in the world, and the only one from Uganda. We beat the illusive whale shark and gorilla tracking.
If you still have questions after reading this, you can email us (firstname.lastname@example.org).
PICK UP / DROP OFF
• Included in the tour price for any location within 12 kms of Kampala
• > 12 kms of Kampala has a small surcharge
• You can identify our drivers by our orange, branded reflector jackets and our green helmets. They will have your name. Please do not be fooled in to jumping on other bodas.
ROUTE / ITINERARY
• Itinerary for that day’s tour is created once the group is assembled and briefed. We do not have a set route as each group is different. We do our best to be as flexible as possible, so if you have specific requests, please let the main guide know.
• Your boda driver/guide will meet you at your house/hotel. We offer free pickups and drop offs anywhere within 12km of Kampala. Pickups/Drop offs outside 12kms are possible for a small fee.
• We offer a number of ideas to fit your interests, including cultural (mosques, etc.) and social (city center, etc.). Normally we begin with city highlights (approx. 3 hrs.). You can then choose to continue to sample some of the best local food, markets, and even ice cream on hot days. Just ask your guide for ideas.
• You will be asked to sign a liability waiver before starting this tour. Thankfully we’ve never had an accident since we began 8 years ago. Read more about our safety guidelines here. Please also note that we take photos during your tour that may be used on social media and for marketing purposes. We do NOT add names, etc. to protect your privacy.
TIME & DURATION
• We work 7 days / week and 365 days / year. Sites are also open every day of the week.
• Group tours depart at 10 am daily. Private tours can depart at your own preference (usually between 9-10 am — limited number available per day). Tours last 3-6 hours depending on places you visit.
• Please Note: Prices are the same regardless of tour duration.
• We work in the rain so don’t let the tropical weather get you down!
• We accept USD or UGX (Ugandan shillings). The rate is set monthly. MAR 2019 RATE = 3700 UGX/$1 USD.
• Money is collected by the main guide at the beginning of the tour. Please do NOT pay your driver directly. If you want a receipt, please ask.
• Tips for a great experience are always appreciated, and can be given to your driver at any time during the tour.
• Please Note: We can only accept USD dated 2009 or more recent, without tears, water damage or ink damage. Other bills will be rejected.
• We try to be as flexible as possible. We require 24 hours advance notice or you will be charged a $12 USD/pp cancellation fee. Alternatively you can reschedule your tour if you pay for the new date in advance. Please call the office ASAP if you feel you need to cancel or reschedule.
• You will be asked to sign a liability waiver before starting this tour. Thankfully we’ve never had an accident since we began 8 years ago. Read more about our safety guidelines here.
• Clean, sanitized helmets are provided for all passengers and ask for your size- S/M/L.
• Our team drives below a speed of 40kms but feel free to ask your driver to slow down in case you don’t feel comfortable. We’ve never had an accident and we work hard everyday to keep it that way.
• $40 USD/pp private. $35 USD/pp shared/group* tour. Includes driver/guide, boda, water. Does not include entrance fees (see below), lunch, or tips/gratuities.
• Groups (4+ people) receive a further discount.
• For larger groups (10+) please request a quote
• CHILDREN ARE WELCOME! <8 yrs = FREE if they ride with a parent/guardian. 8-11 yrs = half price of the adult/guardian. 12+ yrs = full price of the adult/guardian (it has to do with fuel consumption)
• PRIVATE EVENTS ARE WELCOME! Contact us to tell us what you need. We can create a customized itinerary for your special event (birthday, stag/bachelorette parties, etc.).
• *What is a group tour? You are picked up at a 10 am from your chosen location and driven to meet the rest of the group. You will visit sites as a group, and sites will be chosen per the majority. You won’t be able to customize your itinerary/route, and you won’t be able to go off on your own. (Itinerary changes each tour and is based on the group wishes.) If you do need to go off on your own, you will be charged for a private tour. For that reason, if you have specific time requirements (be back at X hour, airport transfer, want to skip certain sites, etc.) or are a private group (ex. family/friends visiting, birthday party, etc.), we highly recommend you choose a private tour. The cost difference is small to be VIP for a day!
• Entrance fees = Please bring 15,000 UGX for the entry for the Gadhafi and another 15,000 UGX for the entry of the Buganda kingdom (approx. $10 total). Walter has special arrangements with the rest of the locations, so you don’t have to pay a fee.
• Lunch = We often stop for local lunch, so bring some money for your meal. Averages $2-8.
PRIVATE CAR &/or RAIN CONCERNS
• We drive our car & guide = $90 USD* for up to 3 people
• We drive your car & guide = $65 USD* for up to 3 people
• You drive your car & we guide = $45 USD* for up to 3 people
• Please contact us for larger group pricing
• *Prices only for pickup/dropoff within Kampala. Please contact us for quotes outside Kampala (incl. Entebbe).
• Kampala City Boda + Walking tour. Includes a visit to the slums and city centre.
• Kampala Tree house tour just 20kms away from Kampala (on request)
• City Boda tours of Fort Portal, Jinja, etc.
• Uganda & East Africa 4×4 safaris and expeditions. Please note: All Safaris get a free city tour. You can use this tour at the beginning or the end of your safari. It can not be used for future or past safaris, sorry.
• Our drivers are all vetted and tested. We treat you like family because, after our tour, you are! If you are staying around Kampala and would like to have one of our drivers be assigned to you during your stay, please let us know. We are more than happy to coordinate it. In a city with over 150,000 boda drivers, many of whom are not insured, licensed, or skilled, we don’t want you to become a statistic of the crazy roads. Let us help!